Contact Us
Another Spin
A blog by Scott E. Shepherd · A continuing look at popular music, past, present and future.

James Leroy Wilson writes:

I went through your list once and thought I'd keep the songs I really really liked. I came out with 14 songs, so this didn't take as long as I thought and I wasn't stuck with hard choices. But let me affirm that I do really like many other songs which are not out of place in the Beatles' canon. Also, as far as playing songs in a album good order, mine is not be a great list - for one thing it doesn't rock hard enough. But the double album doesn't have very many of those anyway, and I'm not a huge fan of "USSR" or "Birthday." Anyway, here's my list.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Helter Skelter
Long Long Long
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry

January 1, 1900 12:00 am ET
Steve Scott writes:

I played the CD(s) and found 6 that were definitely yes, 3 difinitely no, and when the floor was threshed, only 3 were left to wrangle over for the 14th position. Here they are, in album order: USSR, Glass Onion, Ob-La-Di, Bungalow Bill, Guitar Weeps, Martha My Dear, Blackbird, Rocky Raccoon, Don't Pass Me By, Birthday, Yer Blues, Mother Nature's Son, Helter Skelter & Honey Pie, with the 2 honorable mentions being Happiness is a Warm Gun and Dear Prudence.

January 1, 1900 12:00 am ET
Mark writes:

My list (in original album order):

1. Back in the USSR
2. Dear Prudence
3. Glass Onion
4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
5. Bungalow Bill
6. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
7. Happiness is a Warm Gun
8. Martha My Dear
9. I'm So Tired
10. Blackbird
11. Rocky Raccoon
12. I Will
13. Julia
14. Mother Nature's Son
I obviously like Disc One far better than Disc Two. There are several more I like from Disc Two, but not enough to make my 14-track list.

January 1, 1900 12:00 am ET
James writes:

Just listened to the album. I'm gonna go against the grain. It can't be done. I cut 9 songs before I started feeling sick. That still leaves me with a double album.

I wont give a list but I will say 5 of 9 cuts were Paul songs. Honey Pie gets my vote as the worst song on the album. Yes, if I had to cut just one song, I'd keep Rev#9 and that's saying a lot.

Another thing -- George's Long Long Long is one of the album's best and one of the most overlooked song in the Beatles' catalog. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

We need to consider that part albums power is it's haphazardness. It literally is all over the place. Nothing is off limits.

And you know what else? Good Night works. There, I said it. And it works partly because it emerges out of the chaos of Revolution #9. Think of this ... it's 1968. Bobby Kennedy has just been shot. The Vietnam War is raging. The world is going to Hell. And at the end of it all there's a harp and a chorus and gentle uncomplicated Ringo, hanging on. I love it and I would never part with it.

October 19, 2007 9:19 am ET
Adam writes:

The original writer overlooked one thing: the importance of the collective whole. An album isn't made by the songs on it, but by how the songs fit together. The songs he picked don't fit together in any order.

March 15, 2008 1:50 pm ET

1O. I Will
11. Julia
12. Mother Nature's Son
13. Everybody's Got Something To Hide
14. Helter Skelter

March 11, 2013 8:50 pm ET

Not accepting comments at this time.

Album Reviews (12)